top of page


BK Immigration Law New Zealand

The Green List records occupations that are in short supply in New Zealand. Because New Zealand wants to attract more migrants with Green List occupations, the government is offering them a priority pathway to residence. Applicants will need a job offer from an accredited employer, and also meet the Green List requirements for the offered role. If you meet these two criteria, you may qualify for a fast-track pathway to residence, or a work to residence pathway. The latter of these pathways allows you to apply for residence after you have worked in New Zealand for 24 months for an accredited employer. Both residence visa pathways are easier and quicker than the common residence visa pathway under the Skilled Migrant Category.

BK Immigration Law NZ are skilled at assisting migrants with their visa applications, particularly for Green List occupations. Contact us if you want to find out whether you are eligible for the Green List and what your visa options are for you and your family.


Last Updated: June 2023

What are the Green List requirements?

There are currently about 180 Green List occupations, including roles in the construction, engineering, education, health and IT sector, as well as some trades. All Green List occupations come with certain requirements that you must meet. For example, this could be an overseas qualification that meets the New Zealand qualification requirement for the occupation in question. Other Green List occupations may require registration with a professional body. For instance, nurses require registration with the Nursing Council of New Zealand. Similarly, electricians require NZ electrician registration, or a Limited Certificate with the Electrical Workers Registration Board. For some Green List occupations, the remuneration for the employment must meet a set income threshold, while other Green List occupations require relevant work experience for a minimum number of years. It all depends on the position and the industry you are applying for.

What are the visa options if you meet the Green List requirements?

If you have a work offer from an accredited employer, and you qualify for the fast-track to residence pathway, then you can apply for residence from overseas. You can also include your family (partner, children) in the residence visa application. After Immigration New Zealand grants you and your family resident visas, you can migrate to New Zealand to live, work, and study.  

If you meet the requirement for a Green List occupation but you are not eligible for residence via the fast-track pathway, then you will need to apply for an Accredited Employer Work Visa (AEWV) first. If you have a partner and dependent children, then they can apply for their temporary visas (work, student, or visitor visa) based on their relationship to you. If you are granted an AEWV, then your partner, providing he/she meets all applicable immigration policies for a visa based on partnership, will be eligible for an open work visa. This entitles the partner to work for any employer in any occupation anywhere in New Zealand. After you have worked in New Zealand for 24 months in a Green List occupation, you and your family can apply for your resident visas.

For assistance with you visa application, particularly for Green List occupations, contact BK Immigration Law. We can advise on whether you are eligible for the Green List, and what your visa options are for you and your family.

bottom of page